It is often perceived that chiropractic care is solely to treat back or neck pain, but these are only a part of the broad range of medical issues that chiropractic care can help with. Dr. Manion of OAA's Chiropractic Medicine Specialty provides care that zeroes in on the specific issues his patients present with, while also caring for the whole person and their overall posture, optimal function, and vitality. Read more about what chiropractic medicine is in this Question & Answer with Dr. Manion, and learn how it can benefit you today.
- What does a chiropractor do? As a chiropractor, I utilize gentle adjusting and muscle techniques including trigger point, myofascial release, traction, vibration and percussion therapies. The focus of chiropractic is to help individuals get back to optimal function by decreasing muscle tension, reducing pain, improving posture and increasing mobility.
- What does a chiropractor treat? Is it just neck and back pain? Most people use chiropractic for neck and back pain, but extremities respond very well to chiropractic care as well. Some of the most common extremity injuries treated include the hips and shoulders, but the benefits of care are certainly not limited to those two alone.
- What are some common chiropractic techniques that you use? As discussed above, many chiropractic techniques can be used pending upon the issues someone is dealing with. Each condition, and each person presents different challenges. The techniques used would vary depending upon the severity of the condition and the person’s overall health.
- Is it safe? Chiropractic services are some of the safest drug-free, non-invasive therapies available for the treatment of back pain, neck pain, joint pain of the arms and legs, headaches and other neuromusculoskeletal complaints. Although chiropractic has an excellent safety record, no health treatment is completely free of potential adverse effects. The risks associated with chiropractic, however, are very small.
- Is it okay to see a chiropractor if I’m pregnant? Absolutely! The gentle techniques used are very helpful in treating a number of issues unique to expecting mothers. Because many of these conditions are related to the biomechanical changes of pregnancy, they respond very well to chiropractic care.
- How does chiropractic care help athletes? Athletes have a keen interest in getting the most out of their bodies, and they often times do that by pushing themselves to the limits physically. Chiropractic is an excellent way to manage the extra stress athletes place on their bodies. Whether an athlete wants to recover faster from an injury, or just optimize their function and performance, chiropractic can be a great way to go.